FROM IDEA TO EXPORT
BUILDING INNOVATIVE BUSINESS IN CENTRAL ALBERTA
In the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, the communities of central Alberta occupy one of the most prosperous corridors in Canada. It’s a region filled with resources and industry, where more than two million people live and work – and come up with new ideas and innovations that drive our province forward.
To foster these innovations, we are launching a new cohort-based incubator that will diversify Alberta’s economy, educate and grow visionary start-ups, and stabilize central Alberta businesses against unforeseen difficulties. This in turn will create a more resilient atmosphere for provincial business, new avenues for entrepreneurs, and a more promising future for all Albertans.
Starts the week of October 18, 2021
Starts the week of October 18, 2021
Starts the week of January 10, 2022
THE TWO COHORTS
Just like any other start-up endeavour, we’ve looked at the markets and done our research – and that’s why we’re focusing on the industries that Alberta needs. If you’ve got the idea, our new early-stage startup incubator will support its development with 8-weeks of programming and over 50 hours of training, coaching and mentorship/peer support. We’re looking for entrepreneurs who have big ideas for Manufacturing and Agriculture with a possible oil pivot to help break Alberta’s dependence on international oil markets and usher in a new era of energy generation:
- Manufacturing Success and Oil Pivots: Do you have a winning idea for a new product that you can bring to the marketplace? That idea is just the beginning. This incubator can help with design, marketing, manufacturing, and all of the other pieces that must come together in order to turn your start-up into a success story.
- Smart Agriculture and Oil Pivots: It’s one of the oldest human industries, but that doesn’t mean there’s no room for innovation. Computerized crop sprayers, genetic enhancements, and better fertilizers are all examples of agricultural breakthroughs – and we want to know if you’re ready to develop the next one.
ENTREPRENEURIAL BENEFITS AND PROGRAM FEATURES
An incubator can be the difference between ultimate success and failure for a new idea. Qualified entrepreneurs will get:
- Access to coaches that guide them through the process and keep them focused with weekly tasks
- Streamlined networking and introductions to the right people, who can advance ideas and research with expertise, and testing opportunities
- Access to CARIN’s advisory services, including legal, tax, finance, market assessment, and risk factor
- Access to industry experts
- A fully-fledged support system that is designed to help achieve success
- A better understanding of customer issues and which opportunities to pursue, as well as an understanding of engagement, testing, and feedback
- Ground-up evaluations of risk factors and market solutions
- Industry-specific training, such as classes, workshops, training, and mentorship, as well as the application of new technology to their chosen industry
- Insights into how to build a robust and successful company, with both industry-wide and business-specific considerations
A sample of the current program outline is available below. For an outline of the upcoming January Cohort, please request one with your application.
WHAT SETS US APART
There are plenty of incubators out there for hopeful entrepreneurs. What makes ours different for new business in central Alberta?
- The incubator will focus exclusively on central Alberta and its most impactful industries, allowing for maximum potential and success
- CARIN has enhanced partnerships with several partner organizations in the region, which will contribute to the incubator’s reach and ultimate success. This includes Red Deer Polytechnic (formerly Red Deer College), Olds College, Alberta Innovates, Community Futures Central Alberta, Access Prosperity, Platform Calgary, and many more
- From the start, we strongly emphasize the strategic development and export of these ideas from the region, setting companies up for success
- No other incubators focus on our three cohorts of manufacturing, agriculture, and oil pivots
THE IDEA(L) CANDIDATES
It takes a special kind of person to become a seasoned entrepreneur, who will stick with an idea through its inception and execution. These idea(l) candidates are:
- Trainable, enthusiastic, and determined. There is always a risk that the first idea flops, but a great candidate will learn the tools necessary to turn subsequent ideas into a successful business
- Coachable, as much of the incubator involves work with industry experts on how to identify and overcome weak points in the business
- Driven, as commercialization is a long and grueling process that refines raw ideas into functional business plans over the course of several months
- Visionary, with an appreciation of how their company will impact the industry and change the economic outlook of the region and beyond
- Early stage! You don’t need to have a business, or even a business plan, to apply. We’re looking for passionate people who have experience in the industry and have an idea to drive it forward.
dates and deadlines
Important dates to know for the incubator program as follows:
- Advanced Manufacturing & Oil Pivot: Starts Tuesday, October 19th to the week of December 13. Apply today!
- Smart Agriculture & Oil Pivot: Starts the Week of January 10 to the week of March 7. Apply NOW!
- Have questions before you apply? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org